Full Screen WebSite Mobile Website SITE MAP
ON-LINE CALCULATOR to find the WEIGHT of HORTUS IBA WATER SOLUBLE SALTS for any RATE & LIQUID VOLUME:
CALCULATOR BEST VIEWED ON MOBILE DEVICES
CALCULATOR BEST VIEWED ON COMPUTOR SCREENS
Foliar Methods to Propagate Plants from Cuttings: an Overview
• The foliar Spray Drip Down and Total Immerse Methods are used on cuttings that are leafy in the growing season.
• Foliar methods are not used on dormant or leafless cuttings.
• Rooting Solutions are applied to the leaves of cuttings.
• Foliar methods use Rooting Solutions that are made using water only, applied by spray onto foliage or totally immerse.
• For foliar methods only use Rooting Solutions made with water and Hortus IBA Water Soluble Salts. Never use other ‘Rooting Solutions’ made with active solvents since they will dehydrate and kill plant cells.
Water-based Hortus IBA Water Soluble Salts® Rooting Solutions are applied to leaves of cuttings. The Rooting Solutions enter the plant through stomata, the minute openings in the leaf. The stomata allow entry into the plant of gases and liquids such as the Rooting Solution. After entry into the vascular system of the plant, the rooting hormones in the Rooting Solution move by mass flow to the basal end of the cuttings. Plants store rooting hormones at the basal end where they are slow released to induce roots.
ROOTING PRODUCTS TO USE
Use Rooting Solutions made with
Hortus IBA Water Soluble Salts®
Spray Drip Down Method
1) stick the basal end of the cuttings into media
2) spray the leaves of the cuttings with the Rooting Solution until the solution drips down
See the Spray Drip Down Rate Chart
The selection of a method, either the Spray Drip Down or Total Immerse Method, usually depends upon the number of cuttings in a lot. Large homogenous lots may be easier to treat by the Total Immerse Method. Many small lot sizes may be easier to treat by the Spray Drip Down Method.
USE A SECOND FOLIAR TREATMENT
• Overcome slow root development
• Improve transplanting of rooted cuttings.
• Level the production crop.
• Improve roots of cuttings which were already treated by any method, either rooted or un-rooted.
Stimulate rooting by using the Spray Drip Down Method with one or two weekly additional applications. Use Hortus IBA Water Soluble Salts at 80-200 ppm or the initial foliar rate.
STOCK PLANT PREPARATION FOR FOLIAR METHODS
The stock plants must be adequately fertilized and kept in light during the days before the cuttings are taken. These factors allow the plant to store carbohydrates necessary for root formation.
ADJUSTING THE FOLIAR RATE
• Use as low a rate as possible to achieve rooting.
• When root formation is slow in formation trial at a higher rate.
• When foliar methods produce leaf spotting, leaf curl, or leaf drop it may be caused by inadequate stock plant preparation or too high a rate.
Introduction to Plant Propagation from Cuttings:
Site_Map Introduction DISTRIBUTORS
Products: Hortus_IBA_WaterSolubleSalts(20%) RhizoponAA_DryPowder_RootingHormones
Methods: Foliar_Methods-Overview Total_Immerse_Method Spray_DripDown_Method
Basal_Methods-Overview Basal_QuickDip_Method Basal_Long_Soak_Method
Dry_Dip_Method Rose_Ideas TheCuttings
Rates: Rates-Foliar Rates-Basal_QuickDip Rates-Dry_Dip Rates-LongSoak
Other Information: Making_RootingSolutions-How_Much_Do_I_Need?